The best free online checking accounts all provide solid interest rates without charging customers any kind of fees. Our list includes many popular banks.
With the revolt against bank fees in the news, I thought it was a good time to highlight some no fee online checking account options. The great thing about online banks is that not only are their checking accounts free, but many of them even pay interest. For those that pay interest, online banks can generally beat traditional financial institutions big or small with higher rates because of lower costs. Online banks don’t need to maintain an expensive network of branches, and they can pass those savings on to consumers in the form of higher interest rates and lower fees.
Deal of the Day: Barclays Bank is offering a fantastic 1.90% APY for their Online Savings Account. There are no monthly maintenance fees and there is no minimum deposit to open. FDIC Insured..
To give you an idea of what’s available, I’ve put together this list of free and low cost online checking accounts. I’ll be adding to the list as interesting offers become available. What I like about these options, however, are the diversity in what is offered.
So here’s the list, and if you know of other free checking account options, be sure to leave a comment.
Free Online Checking Accounts
Chase Total Checking® – $200 Cash Bonus
You can earn a $200 bonus with the Chase Total Checking® account. To receive the $200 checking bonus you need to open a new account and set up a direct deposit within 60 days.
There is a $12 monthly service fee associated with the account, but that becomes zero if you meet one of the following three criteria:
- Having a direct deposit of $500 or more each month
- Having a beginning day balance of $1,500 or more (everyday)
- Having a beginning day balance of $5,000 ore more when you link other qualifying Chase balances (like other checking or savings products)
Citi Basic Banking Package – $200 Cash Bonus – Citi has thousands of branches across the U.S which makes accessing your money a breeze. They currently offer a few different checking bonuses for new members; and my favorite is the $200 bonus; details below.
- Open an a Citi Basic Banking Package before on or before 12.31.2019.
- Within 30 days of opening the account, make a deposit of $5,000 or more. This amount must stay in your account for the first 60 days. And you must maintain the $5,000 minimum daily balance during that period.
The $12 monthly maintenance fee can be waived by meeting one of two easy requirements.
- Maintain a daily balance of $1,500 or more in qualifying Citi accounts (combined)
- Make one direct deposit and one bill pay transaction each month
Chime–This one is not your ordinary online checking account. Chime is both a checking account and an online savings account. When you receive your Chime Visa Debit Card, purchases you make with the card will have changed rounded up to then be deposited into your savings account.
Unfortunately, that savings account has a 0.01% APY but the funds can easily be transferred to a more productive online savings account.
The Chime Spending Account has no monthly account minimums and no maintenance fees. There are no overdraft fees and no ATM fees so long as the ATM is in network. Out of network ATM’s will be assessed a fee.
- There is no minimum deposit to open an account ($0 is A-OK)
- Physical checks are OK. In fact, Chime has something called the “Chime Checkbook” where they will mail a physical check to whomever you desire, free of charge.
Read More: Chime Bank Review – Fee-Free Banking
Wells Fargo Everyday Checking–The Wells Fargo Everyday Checking account is currently offering a $400 bonus for new customers that meet a few requirements.
- Open and fund your account with a minimum opening deposit of at least $25
- Set up and receive a total of $3,000 or more per month in qualifying direct deposits for three consecutive months. (Must complete this action within the first 150 days)
Now, there is a $10 monthly maintenance fee but that is easily (and I truly mean it) by completing one of the following actions:
- Making 10 or more posted debit card purchases or bill payments each month
- Having $500 in qualifying direct deposits each month
- Maintaining a $1,500 daily balance
- Linking a Campus ATM or Campus debit card
- The account owner is 17-24 years old
I hope that if you consider this account, you meet one of the five criteria above to avoid paying the monthly fee.
- Minimum deposit required to open an account is $25
- Physical checks are OK
Note that all of the online checking accounts listed above are FDIC insured.Topics: Banking