2020 HomeLight Review: How This Platform Can Help You Sell Your Home Faster (and for More Money)
Homelight is a platform that connects home buyers and sellers with the perfect real estate agents for them — free of charge.
- Free for home buyers and sellers
- Easy to find the right real estate agent for your needs
- Available in all 50 states
When selling a home, having a stellar real estate agent can make all the difference in the world. Seller’s agents can not only run comps and help you set a fair price but also lend their expertise to staging, showing, marketing, and even negotiating your sale.
Even if you recognize the value of a good agent, though, how do you go about finding the right one for you and your home?
Founded in San Francisco, HomeLight is a data-driven startup aimed at connecting home sellers (and buyers) across the country with real estate agents that meet their needs.
After entering information about you, your home, and your goals, HomeLight’s unbiased service will connect you with top local agents that can help you sell your home faster and for more money. Oh, and the service is entirely free for buyers and sellers.
HomeLight is currently available in big cities across all 50 states, with a network of over two million agents. Real estate professionals cannot pay to be placed on the platform, offering peace of mind that the agents recommended are actually a great match for you.
In order to connect you with the best agent for your home, HomeLight looks at factors such as:
- Each agents’ annual volume
- Customer reviews
- Each agents’ recent listings and transactions
- Each agent’s ranking compared to other local agents
So, whether you are selling a modest single-family home or a sprawling estate, you’ll be connected with agents who are experienced in both your local area and your target audience.
If you are selling your home and looking for a real estate agent, HomeLight makes it easy to find the right local professionals.
In order to sign up, you will need to provide some information about your home to HomeLight. They’ll ask for your home’s address, the type of home it is, its estimated value, and when you plan to sell.
You’ll need to provide HomeLight with your contact information, including your email address and phone number.
You will soon be contacted by a HomeLight Home Consultant to answer any questions that you may have about the process or to provide any additional info that could help better match you to the right agent.
Following that, you’ll be connected with between one and three agents who are deemed a great fit for you. These agents will be experienced in negotiating for homes within your target price range, and have successfully represented sellers in your area.
You’ll see stats on their career experience and strengths as an agent, as well as homes they have recently sold in your area. If one of these agents piques your interest, you can choose to be introduced to them and chat further.
It won’t cost you anything to use HomeLight’s services as either a home buyer or seller. The company makes money by charging brokers a 25% fee if a connection made on the platform results in a closed deal.
Of course, if you are selling a home, you will negotiate a commission with your seller’s agent, when they help you finalize the sale of your home. As far as HomeLight is concerned, though, you won’t be charged anything extra for the service.
According to HomeLight’s website, they take reasonable steps to protect users’ personal information. They don’t delve much into the exact measures used, however, only noting that the company follows “generally accepted standards” in an effort to prevent unauthorized access, misuse, or loss.
If you have questions about HomeLight, the agent search process, or the platform, you can reach customer service in two ways. They are available by phone “during business hours,” though they don’t specify exactly what those hours are.
You can also get support via email, by sending a message through HomeLight’s website.
HomeLight Pros and Cons
- Makes it easier to find agents that actually fit — Finding the right agent for you — whether you’re looking to sell or buy a home — can be tricky, especially if you’re relying on web searches or word of mouth. HomeLight allows you to find agents that fit your needs, have great reviews, and are experienced in your area.
- Free for buyers and sellers — As a buyer or seller, you won’t pay anything to use HomeLight’s service (only agents pay a fee.)
- It’s easy to use — The easy online questionnaire takes only a few minutes, and you’ll be given results in no time.
- It’s available in all 50 states — Though HomeLight was originally only offered in a handful of states, the service has now expanded to the rest of the country.
- You’re putting all of your trust in HomeLight and strangers’ reviews — HomeLight’s platform uses market and agent data to pair you with the right agents for your home sale. If you’re the type of person who needs personal recommendations, though, you may not feel that this is enough.
- You’ll only get three recommendations — HomeLight will provide you with up to three agent matches. However, if you don’t quite click with any of those, you’ll find yourself right back at square one.
- There’s still a commission to pay to your agent — While HomeLight is free to use, you will still pay a negotiated fee to the seller’s agent you eventually choose.
There are plenty of places to find an agent if you are looking at selling your home, though none of them are quite as personalized as HomeLight.
You could begin your search by looking for agents through home listing platforms, such as Zillow, Redfin, or Trulia. You could also rely on word of mouth from trusted friends, colleagues, or even neighbors who have recently bought or sold a home. Lastly, you could even find an agent by visiting local open houses; that will also give you a chance to see them “in action” first.
Once you think you’ve found an agent, be sure to check online for public reviews, in addition to checking out their license status with your state’s real estate board.
Who is HomeLight for?
Anyone who plans to sell their home and wants the help of a real estate agent (versus opting for a For Sale By Owner, or FSBO) would benefit from HomeLight. If you don’t already have an agent in mind, or don’t have a trusted recommendation, HomeLight can help connect you with agents who not only have experience and great reviews, but also have experience with homes just like yours.
Of course, HomeLight’s service is also free to buyers and sellers, so it’s a great place to start your search, even if you don’t wind up working with any of the recommended agents.
Frequently Asked Questions
Selling a home can be a daunting task, from listing, to staging and showing, to negotiating and closing. The right seller’s agent by your side can make all the difference … but finding that agent is often easier said than done.
If you’re preparing to sell your home and want a trusted and experienced agent as your ally, there are many places you can look. Aside from getting referrals from trusted friends/neighbors and reading public reviews, consider also searching on a platform like HomeLight. This will connect you with as many as three experienced agents in your area who can help you sell your home, and you won’t have to pay a penny for the recommendation.