Young Alfred Homeowners Insurance Review
Young Alfred makes it a snap to find the best and most affordable homeowners insurance available in your area thanks to its insurance shopping platform. Should you try it out?
- Many types of homeowners insurance policies and providers
- Available in all 50 states
- Fast and completely online
Any time you begin shopping around for new insurance coverage, the process can be a bit overwhelming. Between finding availability in your area, comparing rates and features, and even bundling policies to save money, you could easily spend hours on your search.
Young Alfred is a new insurance shopping platform, allowing you to compare quotes from over 40 providers (including almost every big name that you know in the industry) in minutes. While they also offer to help you find auto and pet coverage, today we are going to talk a bit about Young Alfred homeowners and renters insurance.
About Young Alfred
Founded in 2016, Young Alfred is a fairly new name in the insurance shopping world. Don’t underestimate this freshman platform, however–they help shoppers in all 50 states to find a variety of insurance policies for less, through carriers including:
Each of the carriers that Young Alfred partners with have been precisely vetted. In fact, the fully-digital platform only accepts partner insurers that have an A- or higher rating from AM Best or Demotech.
Through Young Alfred, you can get quotes for and purchase homeowner’s insurance policies, renters insurance, auto insurance, and even pet insurance. You can also search for bundled home and auto coverage to help you save up to 30% more.
Learn More: Six Different Types of Homeowner’s Insurance
Young Alfred makes it easy to find the insurance you need at the most competitive price by searching their platform for available coverage.
When searching for homeowners insurance, for example, you can get a personalized risk assessment for your home based on its address. This tells you what are likely to be the biggest risks to your home so you can build a policy accordingly.
Risks include things like floods, earthquakes, hail, snowstorms, mold, theft, tornadoes, hurricanes, and fires.
Obtaining a quote with Young Alfred will not affect your credit in any way. Some companies may utilize a soft inquiry in order to offer you the most accurate quote, but this will not drop your credit score.
It costs you absolutely nothing to use Young Alfred. Once you’ve selected your policy, you’ll be asked for payment information–but there are no fees involved with using Young Alfred to find your new coverage.
Obtaining a homeowners insurance quote, and then purchasing coverage, through Young Alfred is pretty simple.
You’ll need to first enter your address. If you’d like to view the risk evaluation of your property, you can also do so at this time; this can help guide you when building a policy with the right levels of coverage.
Young Alfred will request some personal information from you in order to offer a quote, which includes your:
- Name and birthday
- Marital status
- Property details (square footage, number of bathrooms, type of roof, heat source, updates, etc.)
- Personal property values
- Foundation, roof, and siding materials
- Type of foundation
- Use for the property (whether you live there, use it as a vacation/second home, leave it vacant, or rent it out)
- Level of existing coverage
- Purchase date and whether you have a mortgage on the home
Related: Best Personal Property Insurance
Once all of this information is provided, Young Alfred will gather quotes and send you pricing via email. The only downside to this process is that it isn’t immediate, as you may find on other platforms. In fact, it took over two hours for me to receive any quotes.
If you find a quote you like, you can choose to proceed with sign-up and payment.
In order to provide you with quotes from third-party insurers, Young Alfred does collect and share certain aspects of your personal information. They also “utilize reasonable information security measures” to protect your information, such as the use of SSL, TLS, and other encryption technology.
Additionally, Young Alfred restricts access to your personal information when it comes to the company’s employees and service providers. For those who need to access your information in order to provide services to you, reasonable security measures are implemented.
There is no mobile app offered by Young Alfred. However, you can easily access all features of the website from your phone or other mobile devices.
If you have questions or need help with obtaining quotes on the Young Alfred platform, you can contact customer service by email or phone. Their email address is email@example.com and their phone number is 215-586-5055.
Young Alfred Pros and Cons
- Helps you shop for many policy types — You can shop around for your next homeowners, renters, auto, or pet insurance policy (or even bundle coverage to save up to 30%) through Young Alfred.
- Available in all 50 states — Young Alfred can connect you to insurance policies that meet your needs, no matter which state you reside in.
- The process is fairly quick — Completing your quote request takes about 10 minutes (though you may not receive results right away).
- Everything is 100% online — Young Alfred is a totally-digital platform, providing you with easy-to-navigate options via web or mobile device. There’s no need to speak with an agent or make a single phone call.
- Many provider options — Young Alfred has partnered with 40+ insurers to provide you with many options for coverage, so you can find the policy and price that works best for you.
- Free to use — There is no charge to obtain quotes or even purchase a policy through the Young Alfred platform.
- Quoted prices aren’t always exact — While Young Alfred boasts relatively accurate quotes, due to obtaining pricing directly from the insurer(s), the price you see might not be exactly what you pay in the end, depending on personal factors.
- SR-22 fees aren’t included in quotes — If you need an SR-22 certificate, Young Alfred can help you obtain one; however, the price for this will not be included in your initial quote, even if you indicate that one is required.
- You won’t work with an agent — If you prefer to buy insurance through an agent, or walk through your options one-by-one with someone else, Young Alfred might not be for you.
- The quote process requires a lot of info — While some platforms just ask you a few questions about your home (or vehicle, etc.), Young Alfred strives to obtain the most thorough and accurate quotes. This means that the questionnaire process is very involved, asking you things like the square footage of your home, when it was built, the materials used on the roof/siding, and even the type of heating system.
Not sure whether Young Alfred is the right fit? There are a few great alternatives to consider.
- Policygenius: With Policygenius, you can search for a number of different insurance policy types, including homeowners. The company was founded in 2012, so they have a bit more experience, and they offer live chat assistance if you need help. The Policygenius application process only takes about 3-5 minutes online, too.
- Lemonade: While Lemonade only offers homeowners and renters insurance, coverage can be obtained for as low as $5 a month in some cases. They are only available in about 20 states, so be sure to check if your area is covered.
- Allstate: Through Allstate, you can purchase homeowners or renters coverage (in addition to auto and life insurance) by working directly with a local agent.
- Liberty Mutual: If you’re interested in homeowners or renters insurance, Liberty Mutual makes it easy to buy a policy online (and even offers a discount for doing so). Bundle discounts are also available, saving you money on more than one insurance type.
Learn More: The Best Homeowners Insurance Companies
Who is Young Alfred for?
If you’re looking to compare multiple insurers in your area and get a number of quotes all at once, Young Alfred might be a great option to consider. Since the service is free and doesn’t impact your credit score, there’s not really anything to lose.
If you prefer working with an agent directly, the 100% digital platform might not fit your needs. With a variety of coverage options and services in all 50 states, though, Young Alfred is at least worth a look.
If you’re looking for homeowner or renters insurance (as well as auto and pet coverage), Young Alfred can help you compare more than 40 leading insurance company quotes with one click. The questionnaire is a bit involved, and quotes may take a few hours to arrive, but you’ll still save quite a bit of time and effort by shopping many providers in one place.
If you prefer to work with an agent directly, Young Alfred might not be right for you. If you are looking for a free platform with a robust lineup of providers and no credit impact, however, they are definitely worth a look.