Mr. Rebates is one of several shopping portals that offers cash back on just about anything you buy online. Combined with other cash back tools, Mr. Rebates can save shoppers as much as 7% or more. In this review of Mr. Rebates, we cover everything you need to know about this free cash rebate option.
One method for getting even more value out of the money you spend is getting cash back. Even if the item you buy isn’t on sale, by recievng a cash back bonus, you are essentially “saving” a percentage on every purchase you make. Of course, the most common way to earn cash back is through using a good cash back credit card.
In addition to the standard cash back offer, many of these cards offer special cash back rewards for certain categories each quarter. By combining your cash back card with sales, coupons, or in-store offers, your savings can really add up quickly.
Although cash back credit cards may be the most well-known way to earn cash back on your purchases, they aren’t the only way. Several online shopping sites can help you earn cash back as well. One of the most popular is Mr. Rebates. By making online purchases through their affiliate links, you’ll be saving money on sale items while earning cash back as well. Let’s take a closer look!
How Mr. Rebates Works
Mr. Rebates is an online shopping website which offers coupon codes and discount links for online shoppers. The website is an affiliate shopping site, which means that it doesn’t actually sell anything of its own. It promotes products from other stores and receives a commission from each store on purchases made through their affiliate links. The links and codes provided come at no cost to you.
In addition to the coupon codes and sale links, the biggest draw to Mr. Rebates is that they offer cash back for making purchases through their links. The cash back rate is different for each store, but it can reach as high as 30% – though the rates generally fall in the 5-10% range.
Essentially, Mr. Rebates shares part of their sales commission with you. The cash back functions much like a rebate, except you don’t have to mail in a proof of purchase and wait for your money. The tracking codes provided in each link do it all for you. Unlike traditional rebate programs where you usually have to wait a several weeks to receive your rebate, the cash back will hit your account within 1 to 3 days of your purchase through Mr. Rebates.
There are a lot of things to like about Mr. Rebates, particularly if you do a lot of online shopping. With the holidays right around the corner, Mr. Rebates has an even better deal. They offer a special savings event in which cash back percentages are increased at a number of different stores. Here are a few more features to like:
- Up to 30% Cash Back at Over 2,000 Stores – Mr. Rebates offers up to 30% cash back at over 2,000 different stores. That covers the big retail stores – like Kohl’s, Macy’s, Walmart, and many more – as well as smaller brands. Additionally, they are constantly offering coupon codes and links to help you save even more money when you shop online. There are no limits on the amount of cash back that you can earn through the website.
- It’s Free – Accounts at Mr. Rebates are completely free. Additionally, they promise not to spam you or take over your computer screen with a bunch of annoying popups. The onboarding process is super simple and takes less than 5 minutes. Simply, click on the “Join Now” button at the top of the homepage. Next, enter your email address and contact information. After that, just click the “Create Your Account” button and you’re done!
- Easy Payment Options – After making a purchase at a qualifying store, your cash back will arrive in your Mr. Rebates account within 3 days. Once you have earned at least $10 in cash back, you can either have a check mailed to you or have the money deposited in your Paypal account.
- First Purchase Incentive – As a way of saying thanks, Mr. Rebates will give you a $5.00 bonus once you complete your first purchase. That’s a nice little gift, and it puts you half-way to cashing out your first rebate check.
- Referral Bonus – Mr. Rebates gives you a very nice incentive for referring your friends to the program. When you refer a friend, you’ll receive 20% of the original cash back offer each time they make a purchase. So, if they make a purchase at 5% cash back, you’ll receive 1% of the total sales price. Refer enough friends and this can really add up! You’ll be credited for a referral any time a friend opens an account through your referral link or if they enter your email in the referral field when they create their new account. Just like the cash back bonuses, there is no limit to the amount of referral bonuses you can collect.
- User Interface – Although functional, Mr. Rebates user interface is in need of a facelift. The homepage works just fine, but it definitely isn’t pretty. To be fair, it’s basically a page made up of products links, so making it look cool would be a chore.
- User Experience – In order to get cash back on each purchase, you have to click through a Mr. Rebates link for each separate item. Aside from the fact that it’s a total pain, it can also get spendy if you have to pay for shipping on each item – negating the cash back savings.
- Restrictions – Some items at individual stores may not be eligible for cash back. Before making a purchase and expecting a rebate, be sure that the item is not excluded from the cash back bonus.
Ways to Save Even More
By using Mr. Rebates, you’re bound to save money on your online shopping. Between the coupons, codes, and cash back, you should be able to rack up a nice chunk of change – especially over the holidays. But, wouldn’t you like to save even more?
One great way to earn even more cash back is to shop through Mr. Rebates using a cash back rewards card. That way, you can take advantage of two separate cash back offers. Here’s how.
Let’s say you click on a Mr. Rebates link and purchase a handbag that is 40% off at Neiman Marcus, costing you a total of $100. Mr. Rebates is currently offering a 10% cash back offer, so you net $10 from them. That alone is pretty sweet, but what if you paid using your Discover It card? During the holiday season, the Discover It card sometimes offers 5% cash back at department stores. By using your Discover It card, you just earned another $5 in cash back for a total of $15! Do that a few times, and your savings will definitely pile up.
The Wrap Up
If you’re going to be doing any online shopping, Mr. Rebates provides a great way to earn some extra cash back from your purchases. Although clicking through the links adds an extra step, you’ll find that the additional savings are well worth it. It’s free to sign up, so it doesn’t cost you anything to try it. Don’t forget to use your favorite cash back credit card to stack your cash back savings even higher!