Spice up your life with a little variety. Green Chef turns up the heat in meal delivery service by catering to your specific health needs. Keto, paleo, gluten-free, plant-based, pescatarian, lean and clean… whatever your taste, this service is sure to deliver. Read on to find out if this is the right one for you.
Table of Contents
Tired of spending money on eating out but too busy to shop, prep, and cook? Green Chef has the solution. It’s a meal kit delivery that hands you everything you need for delicious, fast, and easy to make meals that will keep you and your family eating well and happy.
Green Chef is an economically-friendly alternative to dining out all the time, even if you’re on a tight schedule. Most people don’t have time to shop for and cook extravagant meals for themselves or their families. But those same people will probably be able to find 30 minutes to throw together a good meal if it’s as easy as that.
Green Chef provides you with all the ingredients you need, the recipes and instructions spelled out clearly, and even prepped sauces, vegetables, sides, and mains. All you have to do is assemble according to the instructions, and you’ll have a hearty meal in no time.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for an account with Green Chef
- Pick how many people you are cooking for: 1, 2, 3, or 4
- Choose a plan based on your dietary needs, tastes, or budget
- Enter delivery and payment information
- Choose the meals from your plan’s selection
- Choose a delivery date, and wait for your food to arrive
Green Chef requires no monthly subscription and no commitment. This is nice as it means you can try out the service once, and if you don’t like it, you aren’t stuck with it. Plus, it allows you to keep your menu options fresh, ordering from Green Chef one month, and trying out another service another month. You can even cancel orders anytime within the seven days before your delivery date.
Green Chef earns points for its packaging as well–made from recycled materials you can either reuse, recycle, or compost. Another plus, the meal kits come with color-coded ingredient packets with recipe cards to teach you how to make each meal.
Related: Best Grocery Delivery Services
Green Chef has an excellent selection of meal plans catering to just about every type of dietary need or unique foodie penchant. Here are some of the plans available from this meal kit delivery service:
- Heart Smart
- Lean & Clean
- Family Plan
What’s more, Green Chef menus change every week with five or six new recipes to choose from. It may not sound like a lot (and it isn’t really), but since you are only planning a menu for a single week, you really don’t need much more of a selection. And since the menus change every week, five per week is sufficient for most people. Plus, if you want more variety, you can always switch to a different plan (i.e., check out what’s cooking on the Keto plan and scout out the Paleo plan).
All of the Green Chef dishes look delicious and taste as good as they look. Some of the dishes you can choose include Cuban steaks with mojo sauce, creamy pesto pasta with sausage, orzo pasta with basil miso sauce, and roasted parmesan Dijon salmon.
Related: Best Meal Planning Service
Green Chef’s pricing varies depending on which plan and how often you want to order. For example, the plant-powered plan runs you $11.99 per meal/serving or $78.93 per box. But if you order more boxes per week, that price goes down to $9.99 per meal or $66.93 per box. Meanwhile, other plans, like the Lean & Clean plan will cost $12.99 per meal and $84.93 per box.
Honestly, Green Chef’s pricing structure is somewhat confusing. For example, the initial advertising leads you to believe that meals start at $9.99. But when you go to pay, you’ll see that you are actually paying between $7.82 and $8.82 per serving for a two-person meal plan. That’s nice because it means Green Chef is offering a discount for first-time members. What’s not clear is what happens if you add people to your plan. The price goes up to $7.91-$10.91 per serving if you order for four people. That seems counter-intuitive to me.
Another great thing about Green Chef’s plan structure is that it offers a Family Plan. One of the biggest niches meal kit delivery services cater to is families who don’t have time to cook but care about nutrition. So, it’s surprising to find that not a lot of them offer discounted family plans, and it’s nice to see that Green Chef does. You can get a Family Plan subscription for $10.99 per meal or $94.91 per box. Just keep in mind that you can only order Omnivore or Carnivore plans with the Family Size.
|Green Chef Meal Options||Cost Per Serving (for 2-person plan)|
All plans come with a $6-$9 shipping charge depending on your area. Green Chef ships everywhere except Alaska, Hawaii, and some parts of Louisiana.
Green Chef is also currently running a promotion – they’ll give you $25 off your first three orders.
Green Chef does a lot of things right, but it’s not flawless. Here are a few areas where this meal kit delivery service shines and where it could use improvement.
- USDA and CCOF-certified organic: As more health and lifestyle benefits are being discovered every year, cooking green is becoming increasingly more important to more people. All of Green Chef’s ingredients are organic, GMO-free, no pesticides, and free from petroleum-based synthetic fertilizers, irradiation, human sewage sludge, antibiotics, hormones, and other things that are terrible for your health.
- Pre-measured ingredients prepared for cooking: Definitely one of the biggest selling points for Green Chef, you’ll hardly have to do anything with these meal kits. All the ingredients come already measured out, so you don’t have to start fiddling with a measuring cup or spoons. Plus, this saves from wasting the remainder of a package that you didn’t end up using for your recipe.
- Color-coded and easy to follow recipe cards: This is important because it means even people who aren’t world-class chefs can still create delicious meals for themselves and their families. Green Chef does an excellent job of making all the recipes easy to follow, with clear language, and colorful pictures so you can see how your masterpiece will (or should!) turn out. The color-coding, in particular, makes it easy to see which ingredients are to be used for which recipe.
- Recycled, reusable, and/or compostable packing materials: Green Chef is more than just green cooking. It’s also about sustainability and keeping the world a cleaner, healthier place. That’s why all packaging materials are made from recycled materials and fully recyclable too. You can also reuse some of the items (like the ice packs and the plastic jars that the sauces come in) or donate them to charity organizations.
- Large variety of plans for dietary needs: This is also a big selling point. Green Chef caters to a huge audience by offering a wide range of menu plans that can fit just about every dietary or specialty need. From keto to pescatarian and omnivore, Green Chef has it covered.
- Nice welcome bonus: This isn’t across the board, but most people will get a nice welcome bonus when you place your first order. Depending on your location, you could get as much as $75 off of your first three orders. That’s very generous.
- Pricing structure is confusing: You need to dig deep to really start understanding the pricing structure. Once you do, it becomes clearer, but you shouldn’t make your customers search for clarity in this area.
- Shipping not included in price: When you’re paying for your meals already, you don’t want to start pulling out a calculator to figure out taxes or shipping or anything like that. Customers are paying a decent price; it would be nice to have the shipping already included.
- Only full plans available: Many meal kit delivery services allow you to choose individual meals that you like to order. Green Chef doesn’t make this offer. Instead, you have to order a plan that includes a certain number of meals (three recipes per week minimum). That’s not as flexible as some of the competition.
Green Chef is an excellent option for a lot of busy people, but it won’t work for everyone. Here’s who will really appreciate this meal kit delivery service:
- People who care a lot about the environment: If the environment matters to you (and it should!) then Green Chef is a good option for you. Kits come in cardboard (recyclable) boxes with climacell insulation (recyclable, plant-based insulator) and ice packs (recycle, reuse, or donate to charity). Not only is all the packing material recycled and recyclable, but Green Chef is constantly looking for new ways to increase sustainability and eco-friendly practices.
- Anyone who wants to eat healthier: As mentioned above, Green Chef is one of the highest quality meal kit delivery services out there. It uses only the best organic ingredients, has a personal relationship with local farmers, and opts for premium quality in all its sauces. The meals themselves are also healthier, promoting a healthy balance of the right amount of carbs, proteins, and fats for your specified diet.
- You, if you just don’t have time to cook: With all the ingredients included, the recipe chosen and explained, and the food items prepped and ready to go, Green Chef makes sure that just about anyone can find the time to toss together these meals.
- People who have specific dietary needs: Green Chef really covers the spectrum with its plans. No matter what the type of diet you are tied to, whether it’s gluten-free, pescatarian, keto, paleo, or whatever, you’ll be able to find the right diet plan to fit your needs.
On the other hand, Green Chef isn’t for everyone. You won’t appreciate this meal kit delivery service if this is you:
- Budget-conscious eaters: Green Chef is not cheap. You can do a quick price comparison to see that there are cheaper meal kit delivery options out there. It’s most likely because of the premium quality ingredients that Green Chef charges a little more than other services.
- People who don’t care about food quality: If you’re really just in this for the fast and easy, then you should opt for one of the cheaper meal kit delivery services. Or better yet, just go with one of the ready-made meal delivery services. These meals come already cooked, and you just have to heat and eat.
- Anyone who lives in Alaska and Hawaii: If you’re in one of these states, you’re out of luck. (Also, some outlying areas of Louisiana.)
Alternative: Home Chef Review
Green Chef definitely delivers on its promise of being a green, healthy, and easy alternative to eating out. The ingredients are all superior quality, something important to anyone who wants to eat better, and the chef-inspired recipes are delicious. The recipes are fairly easy to follow, and the fact that everything is portioned out for you already makes cooking a cinch, even for those of us who aren’t so handy around the kitchen. Pricing structure is a little confusing and meals are a bit on the high side, but if you’re willing to spend the money on it, Green Chef is definitely a great example of you get what you pay for.Topics: Reviews