Editor's note - You can trust the integrity of our balanced, independent financial advice. We may, however, receive compensation from the issuers of some products mentioned in this article. Opinions are the author's alone, and this content has not been provided by, reviewed, approved or endorsed by any advertiser.
This is the twenty-third day in our 31-Day Money Challenge. Over 31 days we’ll publish 31 podcasts, each designed to help you move closer to financial freedom. Yesterday I shared my own asset allocation and investment selections. Today I’m excited to share with you an interview with Brandon Turner about how he started from nothing and in a few short years built a full time business investing in real estate.
Table of Contents:
- How Brandon bought his first home while making just $9 an hour.
- How he made $25,000 profit in less than one year on his first home.
- Why flipping a house may look great on TV, but is really just a job with high taxes.
- The advantages of buying a duplex as a first property.
- Why renting to family or friends is a bad idea.
- What a “hard money” loan is and how it helped Brandon buy a rental property.
- The importance of developing step-by-step systems to manage rental properties.
- Why Brandon doesn’t accept cash payments for rent.
- How you get into real estate investing if you don’t have a lot of money.
- Why every problem in real estate investing flows from a bad decision by the landlord.
- What the 50-50 rule is on multi-unit properties.
- RealtyMogul – The Easiest Way to Invest in Commercial Real Estate
- The two most painful words a landlord may ever hear
- MySmartMove (Tenant Screening Tool)
- AppFolio Property Manager
- The ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss by Ken McElroy
- The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy
- Real Estate in Your Twenties (ebook)
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad
- Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads: The Fastest and Safest Way to Real Estate Wealth by Larry Loftis
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller
Day 24: Are you on track to retire?