Editorial Note: We earn a commission from partner links on Doughroller. Commissions do not affect our authors’ or editors’ opinions or evaluations. Learn more here.
Getting a life insurance policy can be cumbersome, but ticking that off your to-do list means you can feel good you’ve got the coverage you need to protect your family.
To help you make the best decision, were breaking down two of the best online life insurance companies: Ethos and Sproutt. You can easily shop for a policy with them but one might be a better fit over another.
In a Nutshell
- Ethos is for those who are healthy enough to not go through a medical exam.
- Sproutt is for healthy folks from 30- to 45- years old.
Ethos vs. Sproutt: Overview
|Best For||Those who are healthy enough to not go through a medical exam||Healthy folks from 30 to 45 years old|
|Unique Feature||Ability to compare quotes based on more specific criteria||Comparison across multiple insurance companies|
Ethos aims to help users sign up for and take out a life insurance policy within 10 minutes. In most cases, you won’t need a medical exam. Instead, it’ll look at your individual situation using custom data analytics so that their licensed agents can figure out the best policy for you. The policies are underwritten by Assurity and RGA.
Sproutt is an online marketplace that matches you to a policy that suits your insurance goals and budget. In other words, it’s a comparison website specifically for life insurance, aimed at young, healthy folks.
Ethos Life Insurance Features
Ethos offers term life insurance policies and pays out a death benefit if you, the policyholder, pass away while the policy is still in effect. The benefit will go towards your designated beneficiary or heir. You’ll pay premiums each month until your term is up (you may be able to renew your policy). Users can apply for a coverage term and policy amount that’ll suit their needs.
Here are a few other features that make Ethos shine:
- No medical appointments: Many traditional life insurance companies require a medical exam as part of the application process. This means you would normally have to make a doctor’s appointment. With Ethos, most applicants who want policies up to $1 million won’t need to, saving you time.
- Online application: Yes, the entire application process can be completed online in as little as 10 minutes. You’ll also receive a decision within hours or days.
- Helpful resources: Ethos offers useful educational content that can help you with navigating your finances and other major life events.
Sproutt Life Insurance Features
Sproutt is easy to use – all you need to do is to answer simple questions that have to do with your income, gender, and health. You’ll notice the form mentions healthy people are more likely to get more competitive policies.
After submitting the data, you’ll be led to a custom page so you can preview how much you may be paying for a life insurance policy.
Here are a few features that make Sproutt a solid contender:
- Live agents: You can talk with a live agent who is on standby to receive your call, answer questions and even walk you through the application process.
- No medical exam necessary: Just like Ethos, most applicants don’t need to worry about getting a medical exam, saving you time. All you need to do is filter out the options that require you to take one (assuming you’re healthy enough).
- The QL Index: This tool is essentially a 10-minute virtual Q&A where you meet with an AI bot that asks you questions about your health. You’ll get a score out of five and a full report on how to improve your lifestyle.
Why Choose Ethos
Ethos makes it easy to take out a policy – you can do it within minutes! Plus, for those who want to look at all options and compare pricing based on changing various factors (like the coverage amount), Ethos makes it easy to do that when you receive a quote.
Why Choose Sproutt
Sproutt makes it easy for people to compare policies across multiple life insurance providers. If you want to save time comparing multiple life insurance companies, you can’t go wrong with Sproutt.
Ethos Pros and Cons
- Fast online process: You can complete the entire life insurance application online with Ethos and receive a decision within hours instead of days.
- Access to live help: You have the option of talking to a live agent if you have any questions or want someone to help walk you through the application process.
- No medical exam: Most applicants won’t need to undergo a medical exam, with the entire process taking as little as 10 minutes.
- Not available in New York: Sorry, New York residents will need to search for a life insurance policy elsewhere.
- You can still be denied: Just because most applicants will be approved, doesn’t mean you will.
- Better prices elsewhere: Ethos may not be your cheapest option, especially for those who are older and not as healthy. That’s why it’s important to shop around for coverage.
- Need to provide credit card information: You have to give Ethos your credit card information upfront when you’re going through the application process. While it lets them process your application faster, it might feel icky if you’re not sure you want to go with them.
Sproutt Pros and Cons
- User-friendly website: Sproutt’s website has been created so that users can navigate where they need to go easily and effortlessly.
- Life agents: You can talk to a live agent via the phone if you have questions.
- Most won’t need a medical exam: Depending on the answers on the questionnaire, you can save time by not having to make an appointment to get a medical exam.
- Supports a healthy lifestyle: The QL Index is a helpful tool to see where you can improve your healthy habits.
- Exceptionally easy to use Sproutt’s website is exceptionally slick, effortless, and enjoyable to use.
- You need to sign up for longer terms: Many competitors offer two-year terms, but with Sproutt, you have to commit for at least five.
- Not that many insurance partners: Sure, you can compare multiple insurance companies, but there aren’t as many compared to other marketplace websites.
- Unhealthy people may not qualify: Consider that Sproutt continually hints those who are healthy will get the best rates, those who don’t fit that profile might want to look elsewhere.
How Much Will My Life Insurance Policy Cost?
It’s hard to determine how much your specific policy will cost. That’s because underwriters AI or humans who decide your risk factor – will make a decision based on your gender, age, health condition, and your desired policy amount.
It’s safe to assume that the younger and healthier you are, the less your policy will cost. In most cases, men are considered riskier than women and may have to pay higher policy premiums. Other factors like the death benefit amount you choose will also affect how much you pay. For instance, someone who wants to take out a $1 million policy could pay more than someone who wants a $100,000 life insurance policy.
Learn more: How Much Life Insurance Do You Really Need?
Frequently Asked Questions
[faqs-content id=”XDEAGSD7U5ESPALD2A3YY7OG5U” /]
Ethos vs. Sproutt: Which Life Insurance Company Should I Choose?
All of these companies offer competitive rates, a completely online process, no medical exams (in most cases), and great customer service. Choosing either of them will depend on what you want from a life insurance policy.