Editorial Note: We earn a commission from partner links on Doughroller. Commissions do not affect our authors’ or editors’ opinions or evaluations. Learn more here.
Getting life insurance should be something to consider on everyone’s to-do list, but many people never take the time to sign up. Opening up a term life insurance policy when you’re young is a smart way to protect your family and Fabric life insurance is designed specifically with that idea in mind.
In this Fabric review, I will go over all the details you need to know about their brand and the term life insurance policies they offer.
What is Fabric Life Insurance?
Fabric is a digital life insurance firm founded in 2015 by Steven Surgnier and Adam Erlebacher. It’s online-first, meaning that insurance applicants can apply online in ten minutes or less without a need to visit an office. They are renowned for their professional and speedy advice. Their rates are also competitive when compared to other digital insurance providers–especially those focused on life insurance.
Fabric Insurance has also received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
What Plans Does Fabric Offer?
Fabric offers term life insurance:
- Premium is their core product and is a term life insurance product. Term life insurance is an insurance product that stays in place for a fixed period.
Fabric Insurance Features
The beauty of signing up for Fabric Insurance is consumers get the best of two worlds:
- The efficiency of a light-footed tech start-up
- The credibility of a reputable insurance company that has been around for centuries
They currently offer the following features for prospective applicants:
Fabric Premium offers applicants the option of getting 10 to 30-year term life insurance with coverage amounts up to $5 million.
No Medical Exam
Applicants also have the option of forgoing a medical exam in some instances. Once the firm makes an offer, applicants can decide to edit their coverage amounts and length of coverage before payment.
All this can happen without the need for further underwriting. There is also no need to fill out a new application. This particular feature enables applicants to decide on a premium and coverage that suits their budget and any specific requirements or needs.
Fabric launched a few new product features last year, including no-exam eligibility for up to $1.5M in term life insurance coverage and an increase in no-exam eligibility until age 60.
Learn More: No Medical Exam Life Insurance Companies
Fabric takes full advantage of technology, using an algorithm that offers expedited underwriting services for qualified applicants. This process means you can skip the mandatory medical exams that slow down the application process by competitors and get your application approved immediately–in less than a minute but not more than ten minutes in most cases.
Fabric’s algorithm is proprietary and does the heavy lifting of qualifying applicants for accelerated underwriting approvals. If your application fails the automated process, a human can review your application to determine if you are eligible to skip the medical exam using a carefully laid out method.
Coverage Until 85 With No New Exams
At the end of your coverage period on term life insurance, you are allowed to maintain the same policy until age 85. You can do this without the need for new medical exams. However, once you turn 85, you’ll need to go for another medical screening.
Convert to Permanent Life
Fabric’s term life policies can convert to permanent life insurance policies as long you are 65 or younger. There are no limitations or restrictive agreements on-time of conversion. Also, if you’re under 65, you can switch policies. Permanent life insurance policies last for a lifetime, unlike term insurance policies that only cover a fixed period.
Grant Beneficiaries Access
To reduce any unnecessary bureaucracy whenever beneficiaries need to collect death benefits, Fabric has a feature that enables its customers to grant their beneficiaries access to their life insurance policies.
The access is granted online, and beneficiaries can log in and view the policy details. The beneficiaries can also contact Fabric’s customer service team and make a claim directly from the account dashboard.
Create a Free Will Online
In addition to life insurance, Fabric also has a tool for creating a free will online. Developed by legal experts, this tool is simple to use and understand, thus allowing you to create a will that suits your every want and need.
There are three steps to creating a free will online with Fabric:
- Answer a handful of basic questions: It only takes five minutes to answer these questions, which puts you on the right path to creating a suitable will.
- Make your will legally binding: All you need is a printer, two witnesses, and a few signatures. Fabric will walk you through the process.
- Share your will: Through the app, you can share details of your will with the right people, such as your beneficiaries and executors.
You can also use the tool to name a guardian for any minor children. This ensures that they’re taken care of by the right person should you pass on before they reach the age of 18.
The Fabric Vault feature enables you to store critical financial information in a secure place. You and your spouse’s trust documents, wills, and any other financial documents such as real estate investment certificates are safe with Fabric’s Vault.
No matter where you are at any point in time, the information you have stored in your Vault is easily accessible. You can also share it with anyone if that’s needed.
Another high point of using Fabric is the ease of payment. You can pay for your policy using your credit/debit cards. You should, however, ensure your card doesn’t expire while on file, as your policy will be canceled if the payment method fails. Ensure you update your payment method once your card expires or has an issue. This feature is rarely found in most insurance firms.
Pricing for Fabric Insurance
Your insurance rates are usually dependent on a couple of factors, including (but not limited to):
- The type of life insurance you are looking to sign up for
- Your age
- Your health
- If you are a smoker or non-smoker
- If you enjoy risky hobbies
In some instances, the insurance company might make you go for a medical exam to determine your final rate. This is where Fabric’s algorithm gives them an advantage. Unlike traditional insurance companies, you can speed up your application process depending on your Fabric algorithm scores.
Fabric’s term life insurance policy uses the following factors to decide your rate:
- Family history
- Health history
- Lifestyle to decide on your rate
Depending on your score on each of these factors, you can fall within one of the following risk levels:
- Ultra Select: Has great family and health history; no record of smoking within the last five years; low-risk lifestyle
- Select Plus: Perfect family and health history; no record of smoking within the last three years; low-risk lifestyle
- Select: Satisfactory family and health history; no record of smoking within the last two years; low-risk lifestyle
- Standard: Tolerable family and health history; no record of smoking within the last year; moderate-risk lifestyle
- Tobacco User: Decent family and health history; a record of smoking within the last twelve months; moderate-risk lifestyle
To get an idea of how much a term life insurance policy will cost you, you would need to get a quote from Fabric directly.
However, to give you a GENERAL idea, Fabric has provided three samples of offers made to customers looking for a 20-year term life insurance policy:
- A 29-year-old female in excellent health; gets $250,000 worth of coverage; she pays $14.61 per month.
- A 35-year-old male in excellent health; gets $750,000 worth of coverage; he pays $34.17 monthly.
- A 42-year-old female in good health; gets $500,000 worth of coverage; she pays $41.46 monthly.
The trend is evident and logical. Younger and healthier applicants pay less in premiums. The algorithm is used to decide if an offer should be made and at what rate. Humans can also step in if the offer is refused and review the application again.
Signing up for Fabric
Signing up for a life insurance policy is fast and straightforward. You can get through the process in ten minutes or less. You can apply on the website or the Fabric mobile app (it’s on the Google Play Store and Apple Store). After answering a series of eight questions, you get your offer.
In cases where more information is required, the licensed team of professionals will reach out to you and guide you through whatever next steps are needed to get your term life insurance policy up and running.
You also have the flexibility to personalize your offer as you deem fit. You can adjust your coverage amount or length of the term. This ensures that your monthly premiums fit your budget.
Fabric Insurance Security
Fabric uses High Assurance SSL certificates and Multi-Factor Authentication to safeguard the confidential information of their clients. All documents are stored in industry-standard encrypted algorithms using key lengths of 256 bits.
They also institute regular source code audits using credible third-party security auditors. The database is also archived regularly and backed up offsite to ensure redundancy.
Fabric Insurance Mobile Support
Fabric launched a mobile app in 2019 to make it easier for applicants to access their services. The application offers prospective and current customers the ability to apply for term life insurance on the go, create a will, and organize financial accounts or documents.
They can also coordinate with beneficiaries, financial advisers, and legal experts from the app.
Customer Service for Fabric Insurance
Fabric’s customer service team is known for its professional and speedy service. The team of agents is online all the time, and can quickly resolve most of your queries and send you on your way. There’s a live chat link available on the Fabric homepage.
They also have dedicated phone support available between the hours of 9am and 6pm Eastern time.
- [email protected]
- (917) 765-3572
Pros and Cons of Fabric
- Medical exam not always required — Each applicant is different. Most cases, however, get instant approval for their term life insurance application.
- Online process — Customers can complete the sign-up process online. They can also pay their monthly premiums and assign claims using the website or app.
- Accelerated underwriting — Most applicants get approvals within ten minutes or less. In cases where a medical exam is needed, they will often communicate a decision in five business days.
- Conversions to permanent life policy — You have the option to convert your term insurance to a permanent policy.
- 31-Day grace period — You have 31 days to make your payment if you miss it due to a failed payment method.
- No long-term option — Fabric doesn’t offer 30-year term policies. It is focused on parents who still have their kids at home.
- Lack of flexibility — They only represent one company – Vantis Life. This means you can’t compare pricing.
- Age gating — It is not available to those 60 years and older.
Alternatives to Fabric Insurance
Bestow offers term life insurance without the need for a medical exam. It is available in all states except New York. Applicants can get coverage in minutes once they qualify. They offer coverage from $50,000 to $1 million for 10 and 20-year terms.
The 20-year policies are eligible for those between the ages of 21 to 45, while the 10-year policies are eligible for applicants between the ages of 21 to 55.
Ethos life insurance claims it is built for people who have no time for the restrictive and stifling policies of the insurance sector. It is simple and affordable and can be an excellent option for a young family. Applicants can access the Ethos services online.
Most applications are granted instant approval. However, in some cases, they have to take a medical exam. They also offer 10, 15, 20, and 30-year term policies.
Who is Fabric Insurance For?
Fabric Insurance was designed for young parents with kids. It targets those who are looking to organize their financial information in a seamless, easy way without disrupting their busy schedules.
To a greater extent, it’s designed for anyone who needs term life insurance. Life insurance is not a fun topic to talk about but it’s an important one. If you’re someone who is responsible for the livelihood of others, the smart play is to make sure you’re well covered and those you love are provided for in your absence.
Fabric is one of the best. From the application process and coverage amounts to customer service, these guys have it figured out. Someone in their 30’s in good health can qualify for a 10-year term life insurance policy of $750,000 for under $20 a month.
At that price, term life insurance is a must-own for anyone with a family to take care of.