The fact of the matter is that location is one of many things that determine the cost of your car insurance. Your age, gender, credit history, occupation, driving history, and the automobile that you insure all play a role. Each of these also goes into the car insurance formula used to generate your monthly premium.
If you break down any of these categories even further, you’ll find hundreds of variables that determine different rates. Of course, the car you drive is one big factor — and one that you can control. So, let’s see if we can figure out which cars are the best for cheap auto insurance rates, and which ones cost the most to insure.
Table of Contents:
How Auto Insurance Rates Are Determined
When a car insurance provider determines how much a brand or make of an automobile should cost to insure, they generally all look at the same things. The criteria include:
- Theft – How many of the very same car are reported stolen every year? The higher the number, the higher the premium you pay.
- Durability and Safety – Car insurance carriers have hundreds of thousands of clients who insure the very same car or truck that you drive. So every time a claim is reported from someone that drives the same make and model, it provides the insurance company with more data. If the same problems are being reported about the same cars, then it’s going to cost more to insure that vehicle.
- Price – When a car first hits the market, data is at a premium and no claims have been filed, so the insurance companies are in the dark. Basically, the higher the price, the higher the premium.
- Performance – Can your car go from zero to 220 faster than my cholesterol? If so, then you can expect to pay top dollar to insure it.
- Repair Costs – The more expensive your car is to fix, the higher your insurance premium and vice versa. Typically a luxury car is more than twice as expensive to fix; a primary reason why luxury cars are so expensive to insure.
Most Expensive Automobile to Insure in 2017
So, on average, which vehicles would have the highest annual auto insurance premiums? Here’s what I found (numbers are based on 2016 data) for a 40 year-old man with a $500 deductible:
- Mercedes S65 AMG Convertible – $3,835
- Dodge GTS Viper – $3,779
- Mercedes S63 AMG 4Matic Convertible – $3,624
- Maserati Quattroporte GTS – $3,547
- Mercedes S550 Convertible – $3,502
- Mercedes C43 4Matic Convertible – $3,418
- Mercedes Maybach S600 – $3,355
- Mercedes SL65 AMG Convertible – $3,322
- Nissan GT-R Nismo – $3,313
- Audi R8 5.2L V10 Quattro – $3,267
2016 Most Expensive Cars to Insure
Would you guess that the second most expensive car to insure (the Viper GTS) is also the most affordable of the ten? It’s true — the Viper starts at “just” under $88,000. So, why does it top the list on insurance premiums?
Since Vipers are more affordable than some of their luxury counterparts, they’re more popular and easier to obtain. Because of this, they have quite the reputation for being involved in accidents with younger, or less experienced, drivers. Hence, the astronomical premiums.
Least Expensive Automobiles to Insure in 2017
Now, if you flip the equation, the least expensive cars to insure right now are:
- Honda Odyssey LX – $1,112
- Jeep Renegade Sport – $1,138
- Jeep Wrangler Black Bear – $1,148
- Honda CR-V LX – $1,170
- Jeep Compass – $1,183
- Subaru Outback 2.5L – $1,187
- Jeep Cherokee Sport – $1,188
- Buick Encore (tie) – $1,190
- Jeep Patriot Sport (tie) – $1,190
- Subaru Forester 2.5L – $1,196
2016 Least Expensive Cars to Insure
You may be looking at some of these costs and wondering why you are paying a lot more than what you see here for the same vehicle. Well, it could be because you live in an accident-prone city, have a poor driving record, or possibly because your credit score is very low. It could also be something as simple as your age.
In addition, remember that these quotes are for a 40 year old male with a $500 deductible. I personally carry a $2,500 deductible on my auto insurance to reduce the cost of insurance as much as possible. If you’re looking to further reduce your car insurance rate, consider driving SAFELY and increase your deductible.
Make sure that when you are looking for auto insurance, you compare quotes across many different providers. Depending on the coverage that you need, car insurance can be a fairly inexpensive venture, or a very pricey one so choosing the best carrier that fits your needs is not a decision to be taken lightly.