My family and I just returned from a vacation in which we spent $264 for a plane ticket to Florida and back. That might not be a bad deal, except that–
The “ticket” was for our luggage!
So when Citi relaunched a miles card that lets you and up to 4 companions each check one bag for free, it caught my attention. Called the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard®, it boasts some new features that make it a good option for AA frequent flyers.
The card allows you to earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of being a cardmember. The spend requirement is about as low as you’ll find, and 50,000 miles will go a long way toward free travel.
The Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard® also includes a lot of other perks and rewards. Here’s an overview:
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy Group 1 Boarding on American Airlines flights*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
- Double AAdvantage(R) miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back – up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year*
There is a $95 annual fee, but it is waived for the first 12 months. Also, the free checked bag applies not only to the cardholder, but also up to 4 traveling companions. Having just taken my family on a vacation for spring break, this feature would have come in very handy.