One of the absolute best cash back credit cards is the American Express Blue Cash line of cards. The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is the no annual fee version of this card. It pays up to 3% cash back and offers the chance to get a $150 statement credit. We’ve got all the details in our Blue Cash Everday review.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers the following features:
- $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%).
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- Intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 14.24% to 25.24%.
There is no annual fee.
Cash Back Rewards
The cash back rewards follow a simple three, two, and one percent reward structure:
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%);
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores; and
- 1% back on other purchases.
In addition, you get a $150 statement credit after spending $1,000 in purchases on the new card within the first three months.
The Value of Cash Rewards
We’ve calculated just how valuable this card can be. We used average spending data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
|Spending Category||Spending Amount||Cash Back %||Cash Back Rewards|
|Other Transportation Expenses||$2,884||$28.84|
|U.S. Department Stores||$1,803||$36.06|
Total Rewards: $329.07
American Express regularly offers limited time benefits that add significant value to this card. As part of my research for this review, I logged into my own account for this card. Here were some of the available offers:
- Get 10% back on your cable or satellite TV bill
- Spend $100+ at Panera, get $20 back. Up to 2X
These special rewards change regularly. The above is an example, but underscore the additional benefits above the standard cash back rewards.
0% Introductory Rate
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers an introductory 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15. When the introductory rate expires, the card charges a variable rate of 14.24%-25.24% depending on your creditworthiness.
Additional Card Features
American Express offers dozens of perks that cardholders may not know exist and some of the coolest and most useful ones are:
- If you need to return an item and the store won’t take it back, American Express will usually refund the purchase price, up to $300
- Extend manufacturer warranties for up to one additional year
- $100,000 in travel insurance just in case something should happen during your next vacation
- Be the first to know about exclusive events using Entertainment Access
Blue Cash Everyday vs. Blue Cash Preferred
American Express offers another version of its Blue Cash card. Called the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, it offers up to 6% cash back. The downside is that it comes with a $95 annual fee.
How Do They Compare?
So the question is whether it’s worth paying the $95 annual fee for the preferred version of this card. The answer depends on how much you’ll use the card. We’ve taken the typical spending of a family of four to compare the cards in the following table:
|Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express||Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express|
|Category||Monthly Spending||Annual Cash Back||Category||Monthly Spending||Annual Cash Back|
|Groceries (3%)||$750||$270||Groceries (6%)||$750||$390|
|Gas (2%)||$400||$96||Gas (3%)||$400||$144|
|Dining Out (1%)||$250||$30||Dinning Out (1%)||$250||$30|
|Other (1%)||$1,000||$120||Other (1%)||$1,000||$120|
|ANNUAL CASH BACK
(No Annual Fee)
|$540||ANNUAL CASH BACK
(-$95 Annual Fee)
*Other: $1000 (this might include big box stores, pharmacy, cell phone, cable, car repair, travel, and every other monthly expense that can be charged)
You can get more details on the Blue Cash Preferred version of the card here.
Who is this Card Best for
Perhaps the ideal candidate for the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is families who eat at home. The three percent cash back rewards at groceries (up to $6,000 a year) offer the chance to earn $180 in cash back.
The two percent cash back on gasoline is ideal for those who hit the road a lot. Whether it’s a long commute to work or frequent road trips, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations.
The 2% cash back at U.S. department stores also makes the card ideal for frequent shoppers.
Pros & Cons
What we like about the card
- Up to 3% cash back:. The excellent cash back rewards are the card’s top feature. Even on an average household budget, the card can easily generate $500 or more in cash back rewards.
- No annual fee. It’s rare to find a card with this level of rewards that doesn’t charge a fee.
- Amex benefits. American Express cards come with a wealth of benefits. From travel assistance to travel insurance and purchase protection, the card offers excellent features. It even has roadside assistance.
What could be better
- No credit monitoring. More and more credit cards offer free access to your credit score and score monitoring. Unfortunately, this card doesn’t offer that feature.
- Reward redemption. Rewards must be in the form of a statement credit.
We’ve reviewed a lot of cash back credit cards. The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is without question one of the best options that come without an annual fee. It’s also one of the cards I carry. You can get more details here