I created my business in 2010. One of the first things I did after receiving my tax ID was apply for a small business credit card. At the time, my credit was fair to good. As a result, I would not have been approved for the Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express. Today, however, with an excellent credit score and a brand new offer from American Express, I applied. American Express approved my application with a $15,000 business credit line.
Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express Review
The reasons I applied for the Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express are three-fold:
- You can’t go wrong with a 0% intro APR offer on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months. That will give my business a little flexibility in buying additional inventory for 2018.
- Double membership points are earned on all purchases. That means I’ll save an additional 1% over my previous Capital One Spark small business card.
- No annual fee. Some of the other small business credit cards offer upwards of 2% cash back. But they tend to charge an annual fee. It’s rare to see a card issued by American Express w/ no annual fee.
How it Stacks Up
Compared to a lot of other small business credit cards, the Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express is somewhat vanilla. There is no big up front bonus and there’s also no way to earn better than 2x rewards points on purchases, however, this card also doesn’t carry with it any fee pitfalls, and complicated reward tier levels or category limitations. I was in need of a business credit card to make everyday purchases and this is exactly what the Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express is.
For more information on this card, visit CardRatings.com
- Get rewarded for business as usual. Earn 2X points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners.
- 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter.
- Enjoy the flexibility to put more purchases on the Card and earn rewards when you buy above your credit limit*.
- More buying power for your business* means more opportunities to earn points. That’s everyday business with the new Blue Business Plus Card.
- *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us, and other factors.
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, then a variable rate, currently 12.49%, 16.49% or 20.49%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply
Added American Express Protections
Initially, when I saw the name I assumed a price matching program but it’s actually a feature inside of your Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card account that allows you to make notations on all purchases. For example, if you spend $400 at the hardware store, your transaction will come through as a $400 charge. ReceiptMatchSM allows you to make notations so you can breakdown all of your charges, mark a client you’ve paid, or write whatever your heart desires next to each charge in your account.
As a small business owner, you’ll have access to the OPEN Forum; an online portal to ask questions or garner advice from other business professionals that are American Express cardholders. It’s difficult to put a monetary amount on a service like this, but I can tell you as a small business owner myself, it’s comforting to use message boards and forums to bounce ideas off others, and ask for help when you don’t have the answer to a question.
Baggage Insurance Plan
When you use your Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card to purchase a plane, bus, train or ship ticket, you are enrolled for baggage insurance. Each bag you include on your trip is eligible for $1,250 in protection ($500 if it’s a checked bag). My father-in-law just flew from Israel to NYC last year and the airline lost his luggage. After six months of headaches back and forth (which I assisted with) we were able to get a settlement check from Delta for $600. Had he used an American Express card to book the flights, he would have had $1,000 on top of that (for two checked bags).
Roadside Assistance Hotline
If you breakdown and are stranded on the side of the road, you can call the phone number on the back of your card and a representative will help you in getting the assistance you need. Whether you need a tow, a flat tire change or help to charge up a dead battery, American Express will get someone to you ASAP. There is no fee for this help, but you are on the hook for whatever service you’re in need of.
If you own a small business, owning a small business credit card is crucial. It helps you manage purchases while earning cash back. The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express is a great tool for anyone that spends up to $50,000 a year. The 15 months of interest free purchases is icing on the cake. Double points on every dollar spent is as good an offer as you’ll find on any business credit card. All of these benefits are available with no annual fee.