A decade ago, the average price of a gallon of gas in the United States was around $4.00. Today, the average price is under $3.00. Factor in the emergence of electric and hybrid cars, and the allure of a great gas credit card isn’t what it used to be.
Still, credit cards offering cash back and other gas rewards can be a great way to trim your gas bill. Many of the cards listed below will give you a straight percentage back on qualified gas purchases.
Others offer tiered percentage amounts, which can be better in some situations. Of course, don't forget to consider introductory offers, annual fees, bonus rewards, and rewards for other purchases, too.
Here are some of the best gas credit cards on the market today:
1. Costco Anywhere Visa® Card
This card tops our list because of its high everyday cash back rate on gas purchases. The offers 4% cash back on gas purchases (on a maximum of $7,000 spent annually), 3% cash back at restaurants and on travel, 2% cash back at Costco, and 1% cash back everywhere else.
- Cash Back on Gas: You'll get 4% cash back on gas purchases, including those made at Costco, for the first $7,000 spent annually. Yes, there's a limit, but if you're spending more than $7,000 a year on gasoline at these prices, it's probably time to trade in the school bus for a more fuel-efficient vehicle.
- Annual Fee: There's no annual fee with a paid Costco membership.
Bottom Line: The recommended credit score for approval on this one is high (720+), but the gas rewards are undeniable. You'll get 4% cash back on all gas purchases all year round, with a healthy cash back percentage on everything else. There are no annual fees to eat into the rewards, and earning 2% cash back at Costco makes those 1,000-count paper towel roll buys even cheaper.
2. PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature Card
This credit card offers killer cash back rewards on gas purchases--but only if you’re a member of PenFed. Some PenFed members can wrangle up to 3% cash back on gas purchases with other cards but members of the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature Card will get 5x points on gas. That’s a great deal, especially if you travel often. You’ll also earn 3x points per dollar spent at the grocery store!
- Gas Rewards: To qualify for the 5% cash back for gas on this card, you'll need to have another qualifying product with PenFed Credit Union. Checking accounts, loans, lines of credit, and mortgages all count. But as long as this other product is active, you can take advantage of the great rewards of this card.
- Balance Transfer Offer: 0% intro APR on balance transfers for the first 12 months; 3% BT fee applies
- Bonus: A $100 statement credit is offered after spending $1,500 in the first three months of card ownership.
- Annual Fee: None. No annual fee to own this credit card.
Bottom Line: If you have excellent credit and you’re already searching for a loan or another financial product, check out PenFed. If their other products meet your needs, this credit card could be the icing on the cake.
3. Blue Cash Preferred® Card From American Express
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card From American Express offers 6% back at U.S. supermarkets - on up to $6,000 per year (1% after) - and 6% back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions. Plus, earn an unlimited 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and on transit. Terms Apply.
- Bonus Offer: Earn a $250 statement credit after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new card within the first 6 months. Terms apply.
- Annual Fee: $95 ($0 introductory annual fee in the first year). If you max out the grocery bonuses and spend enough on gas, you’ll well out-earn the fee. However, if you don’t use this card regularly enough, the annual fee could easily eat into your earnings.
- Easy Rewards: With the Blue Cash Preferred® Card From American Express, you’ll rack up cash back rewards--which you can then use as a statement credit. The rewards aren’t quite as flexible as with some other programs, but they’re great if your main goal is to offset spending.
Bottom Line: If you’ll use this as your primary gas card and max out the grocery rewards, too, you’ll be sitting on $400+ per year in savings--well over enough to offset the annual fee. Plus, the cash back bonus for new applicants offsets almost three years’ worth of annual fees. Terms apply.
4. Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa® Card
The Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa® Card, as the name implies, is a prepaid debit card and not a credit card. But if you’re a regular Kroger shopper, it’s an excellent card to have for gas purchases as well.
- Gas Rewards: If you also purchase your gas at Kroger, the Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa® Card will get you a five cents per gallon discount on gasoline purchased at Kroger stores that have Kroger gas stations. And almost as important, you can use the card without having it subject to the hold that’s frequently placed on cards by gas stations.
- Points Rewards: Earn 3X points for each dollar spent buying Kroger products at a Kroger store, plus 2X points for each dollar spent on non-Kroger products at a Kroger store. You’ll also earn 1X points on purchases made outside Kroger.
- Bonus: You’ll get $10 the first time you load the card.
- Annual Fee: None, but there is a monthly fee of $4.95. That works out to be $59.40 on an annual basis.
Bottom Line: It’s a prepaid card. You’ll have to transfer money into the card to use it and once the money is there, you’ll have to spend it. There’s no way to transfer it back to your bank account. However, if you regularly shop at Kroger, this shouldn’t be an issue. At five cents off per gallon at Kroger gas stations, this is a card you’ll want to look into.
Picking the right gas rewards credit card depends on a lot of factors, including how much you actually spend on gas and how you plan to utilize the rewards. By asking yourself a few simple questions, though, and doing a little math, you're sure to find the perfect new piece of plastic for your wallet.