Karen over at MSN’s Smart Spending Blog sent over some details of a contest MSN is running. Actually, it’s two contests in one. They are looking for the best web application to help folks through the current economic crisis and a second app to help people go lean and “green.” The contest is called Will Code for Green, and it is sponsored by LIve Search and Seattle Gnomedex.
First prize in each category is $10,000, and $3,000 each for three overall runners-up in each category. Here are the details:
From June 1 through Aug. 12, people will be able to submit URLs for their entries at the contest Web site (click here). These Web-based applications must use the Live Search APIs (application programming interfaces), which are free, but can also use any other technology platform or programming language in order to accomplish their ultimate purpose:
* To help people deal with the worsening global economy (economy category).
* To help people improve the ecology of Earth (ecology category).
You can vote for your favorite Web applications at the contest Web site until Aug 12. Customer appeal is one of the key factors that will determine which five finalists go on to have their entries judged at the Gnomedex tech conference. The finalists will be chosen by a panel of Microsoft judges on or shortly before Aug. 19.
In the final round at Gnomedex, Aug. 20-22, conference participants will play with the applications and determine the winners in each category.
You can check out the Official Rules, and good luck.
There were some great money management carnivals and articles this past week. Be sure to check them out:
Money Management Articles
- Best iPhone apps for personal finance (@MSN’s Smart Spending Blog)
- Debt as a Giffen Good (@Political Calculations)
- Save Money By Using Your Computer as a Phone(@Alpha Consumer)(Note: We use Vonage and love it, but Phone Power is the lowest cost internet phone option we’ve seen.)
- 3 keys to safe and successful investing (@ChristianPF)
- Introducing the Expensive Loan Option (@Bad Money Advice)
- Off The Waist and Into the Wallet: Save At Least $100/mo. By Fasting For Financial Fitness (@Money Energy)
- Free Book Download: Larry Burkett’s Money Matters (@Keeping the Kingdom First)
- Larry Winget: ‘The Secret’ is a Total Load of Crap! (@All Financial Matters)
- USAA $100 Sign Up Bonus (@My Dollar Plan)
- Why Today is Quite Possibly the Best Time Ever for First Time Homebuyers (@Moolanomy)
- Credit CARD Act of 2009 – Good or Bad? (@Cash Money Life)
- 5 Great Reasons to Have Less Debt (@PT Money)
- Carnival of Personal Finance #205: Pay it Forward Edition
- Carnival of Money Stories: May Two-Four Edition
- Personal Finance News Carnival Volume 5
- Working at Home Blog Carnival-139th Edition
- Money Hacks Carnival – Otter Pop Edition