Looking for the best rewards credit card for air travel? Picking “the best” card is tough because there are many good options. One that doesn’t get as much attention is the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® card. It caught my eye because it offers one of the highest point values per dollar spent, among other things.
I’ve yet to review a credit card that didn’t have both advantages and disadvantages. The U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® card is no different:
- Bonus rewards requiring a modest spend
- Rewards can be used on more than 150 airlines
- Good 0% introductory rate offer
- Annual fee, although modest and waived the first year
- Bonus rewards could be better
Below are some of the unique and valuable perks of this card. For a list of all benefits, go directly to the website. My comments are in italics.
- Get 20,000 bonus FlexPoints after the first $3,500 in net purchases within the first four months.
- Award travel starts at just 20,000 FlexPoints (up to a $400 ticket value) on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates or online redemption fees
- Earn one FlexPoint for every $1 of eligible net purchases charged to your card
- Earn two FlexPoints for every $1 spent on gas, grocery or airline purchases — whichever you spend most on each monthly billing cycle — and on most cell phone expenses
- Earn Triple FlexPoints for your charitable donations
- $0 intro Annual Fee* the first year, after that $49*
- Earn 3,500 bonus FlexPoints each year when you spend $24,000 in Net Purchases.
- You can redeem these FlexPoints for your annual fee or combine them with other FlexPoints for travel or many other rewards
20,000 FlexPoints = Up to $400 ticket value
30,000 FlexPoints = Up to $600 ticket value
40,000 FlexPoints = Up to $800 ticket value
50,000 FlexPoints = Up to $1,000 ticket value
This is one of the most important perks. While other cards offer the promise of no blackout dates or redemption fees, very few offer such a wide range of airlines. This option gives you the chance to grab the best deal at the airport you want.
- Get up to a $25 airline allowance per award ticket to reimburse you for incidental airline expenses, such as baggage fees or in-flight food and drinks charged to your card. Given the growing trend of airlines to charge you for checking bags, this perk can’t be undervalued. Also, the reality of being hungry because many airlines no longer provide food is an added perk.
- Redeem FlexPoints for other travel rewards with leading hotel chains, rental car companies and cruise lines. Get a free car rental day, up to 25% discount and Emerald Club® Membership at National Car Rental®. Although this card truly excels in the air, it’s nice to know it’s there for you on the ground too.
- A special 0% introductory APR on all purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 billing cycles and after that, a variable APR, currently 13.99% - 23.99%* (Variable), based on your creditworthiness. So you get all of the benefits for the first year essentially for free (yes I know you need to spend money to earn the points not included in the bonus).
- Travel Insurance is automatic at a minimum of $1,000,000 for you and your family when you purchase tickets with your U.S. Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa Signature® Credit Card. Like most insurance, this is only a perk until you need it. Then it’s a life – and wallet – saver.
Visa Signature Perks
In addition to the U.S. Bank FlexPerk benefits, below are the Visa Signature Benefits:
- Concierge Service handles anything from last-minute gifts to travel planning – 24/7 – so you can get back to doing what you enjoy.
- Luxury Hotel Collection – Enjoy an exclusive set of special perks when staying at select luxury hotels worldwide—including best available rate, room upgrade, $25 food & beverage voucher, and much more. Learn more about the Luxury Hotel Collection.
- Visa Signature Fine Wine & Food includes complimentary access to OpenTable online reservations, dining offers, plus a selection of special gourmet events catered to your individual taste.
- Visa Signature Travel offers incredible packages, special offers and upgrades at some of the finest hotels and resorts, plus unique opportunities to discover exciting destinations.
- Visa Signature Sports enhances your sporting event experiences with VIP packages, presale tickets and much more.
- Visa Signature Entertainment allows you to have more fun more often with a range of perks including unique venues, preferred seating, two-for-one movies and more.
How to Apply
Apply online at the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® card official application page and be done in less time than you spend in a line at Chipotle for lunch.
If you fly a lot, this is the card for you. Some card benefits are a mile wide and an inch deep. They offer few benefits to the widest range of users while not completely satisfying any one group of users. This card can be viewed as the opposite – offering many benefits to one group of users.
Still not sure? Here are the top three competing cards to consider: