With 2014 in full swing, it seems like a good time to review some of the best credit card offers available. Carrying the right credit card(s) that fits your spending habits is not only the responsible thing to do, but also the smart thing to do. Credit Cards get a bad rap sometimes, especially when you start to see the fees and interest piling up. But the best credit card offers include cards that award cash back, points and miles, and even 0% APR introductory rates, all for little to no annual fee and somewhat low interest rates.
Below are 5 of the top credit cards available now. I’ve considered the following factors in compiling this list:
- Rewards: Some cards offer richer rewards than others. Whether cash back, points or miles, look for cards with the best perks. It’s also important to consider bonus deals.
- Interest Rates: The focus here is on 0% introductory rates. While low regular APRs can be a plus as well, they shouldn’t matter if you are paying the card in full every month.
- Credit Needed: The most rewarding cards require excellent credit. As a result, we also include cards available to those with average credit.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®
This card is a hidden gem. While you don’t see it advertised on TV as much as others on the list, it offers some of the best rewards available from any credit card (Read review here).
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days - that's enough to redeem for a $400 travel statement credit
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- Miles don't expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
- Chip card for increased confidence and convenience to pay abroad as easily as you do at home
- Book the travel you want - airfare, hotels, cruises and more and earn miles on your purchase
- Get 10% miles back to use toward your next redemption every time you redeem for travel statement credits
- No foreign transaction fees on anything you buy while in another country
- Complimentary online FICO® Score access for Barclaycard Arrival cardmembers
Best known for its cash back rewards, you can earn up to 5% cash back on rotating categories. Less known is Discover’s 0% introductory offers on both balance transfers and purchases (Read review here).
- 0% intro APR on purchases & balance transfers for 14 months--then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% – 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars by over 4,000 cardmembers.*
- No annual fee, no late fee for your first late payment - APR won’t go up for us paying late, no overlimit fee and no foreign transaction fee.*
- Free FICO® Credit Score online and on monthly statements.*
- 5% cash back at gas stations on up to $1,500 in purchases from July through September 2014 when you sign up*. 1% cash back on all other purchases automatically.*
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized Discover card purchases.
- U.S.- based customer service--anytime, day and night.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms and other info by clicking “Apply.”
Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
Don’t let the silly commercials fool you. This card offers excellent rewards IF you use them for travel. Use the miles for something other than travel and the card is just average (Read review here).
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase, every day
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $2,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, equal to $200 in travel
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime
- Travel when you want—no blackout dates
- Miles don't expire
- No limit to the miles you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fee for the first year; $59 after that
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
For those that love hotel rewards, this card is hard to beat. It’s one of the fastest ways to earn Starwood points, which have tremendous value. In addition to earning hotel stays, you can also transfer points to many airline frequent flyer programs (Read review here).
- Starpoints® bonus: earn up to 25,000 bonus points: 10,000 after your first purchase and another 15,000 after you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months of Cardmembership
- That's enough for a weekend getaway to a Category 4 Hotel.
- Free Hotel Nights: redeem Starpoints at over 1,100 hotels in nearly 100 countries worldwide - with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Free Flights: redeem Starpoints on over 350 airlines with SPG Flights - with no blackout dates
- No limits on the number of Starpoints you can earn
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65
- Terms and Restrictions apply.
Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit
This rewards card is ideal for those with average credit. Its rewards aren’t quite as rich as the other cards listed above, but it does offer good perks for those with less than perfect credit.
- No annual fee
- Earn 2 points per $1 on gas, grocery, and utility purchases and 1 point per $1 everywhere else
- Use the points you earn like cash to pay for almost any purchases you've made.
- No blackout date, no redemption fees, no limit on the points you can earn and no complicated set up.
- Reports to all 3 major credit bureaus monthly providing you the opportunity to rebuild your credit score
- Complimentary FICO® Scores as a benefit to active cardmembers. Opt-in to have instant and convenient access to FICO® Scores from your Barclaycard online account.
* See the online credit card application for details about terms and conditions. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. However all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on the “Apply Now” button, you can review the credit card terms and conditions on the issuer’s website. Discover is a paid advertiser of this site.