If you’d rather save for your child’s college education than get cash back or other credit card rewards, the Barclaycard [showoff template=card_name offer=CCBarclays1246] is an excellent option. Through the popular Upromise program, you can put this card’s hefty cash back rewards directly into a college savings account.
What is Upromise?
Upromise is a broad program that offers cash back rewards to help parents and students save money for college. You don’t have to use the World MasterCard to get Upromise cash into your college account. You can also shop online, use special grocery coupons, or eat at participating restaurants.
Various participating stores offer between 2% and 10% cash back when you shop online through the Upromise.com website. You can also register your credit or debit cards to your Upromise account, use them at participating restaurants, and get cash back for your dining purchases.
The more you dine out throughout the year, the higher percentage cash back you’ll get. For instance, you’ll start the year getting 2% cash back at participating restaurants. If you spend $300 at these restaurants, you’ll get 6% cash back. Spend $500 at participating restaurants in one year, and you’ll get 8% cash back on further purchases!
You can see how cash-back savings would really add up, and if you use the Barclaycard Upromise World MasterCard, you’ll pack in even more savings.
Savings with the Upromise World MasterCard
Using the [showoff template=card_name offer=CCBarclays1246] boosts the savings that you already get by shopping with Upromise partners. When you shop online through Upromise.com, you’ll get an extra 5% cash back. And you can get an added 4% cash back when you shop at participating Upromise restaurants.
Here’s a breakdown of the rewards you can get with this MasterCard:
- 5% cash back on eligible online shopping through Upromise.com
- 4% cash back at participating Upromise restaurants
- 3% cash back on eligible gas purchases through Exxon or Mobil
- 2% cash back at eligible movie theaters
- 1% cash back on everything else
The card also comes with a $50 cash back bonus after your first purchase, and has no annual fee.
The Barclaycard [showoff template=card_name offer=CCBarclays1246] even offers an introductory APR of 0% on purchases and balance transfers for the first [showoff template=transfer_period offer=CCBarclays1246], with an interest rate of [showoff template=purchase_apr offer=CCBarclays1246] after that.
This is really an excellent credit card to have if you want to save up your rewards for college. But the caveat is that it’s typically an excellent credit only card.
According to a Credit Karma survey, 38% of cardholders have a credit score of over 750, and another 30% have credit scores of 701-750. Another 22% of cardholders had credit scores between 651 and 750, and only 10% had scores under 650.
If you have excellent credit and are saving for college – or paying off student loans – you may want to apply for this card soon. But if you don’t yet have excellent credit, you might put the Barclaycard Upromise World MasterCard on your list of “great credit goals.”
How to Use Upromise Money
At this point, you may be wondering exactly how you would use all those cash back rewards. With Upromise, there are three ways to use the rewards you get from any Upromise programs, including this World MasterCard:
- Invest in a high-yield savings account
- Invest in a 529 college savings plan
- Pay off Sallie Mae student loans
Invest in a High-Yield Savings Account
You can choose to transfer your Upromise funds into a High-Yield Savings Account from Sallie Mae. The account has no minimum balance, no monthly fees, and a 10% annual match by Upromise on any Uprmose earnings.
You can even set up automatic monthly transfers from your Upromise account, so you don’t miss out on any earnings.
Invest in a 529 Plan
If you’re saving for a college education – yours, your child’s, or another loved one’s – a 529 college savings plan is one of the best ways to go about it.
You can open a 529 directly through Upromise, or you can invest in a plan administered by Upromise. Plans that will link with Upromise include:
- CollegeChoice 529 Direct Savings Plan
- College Savings Iowa 529 Plan
- CollegeAdvantage Direct 529 Savings Plan (Ohio)
- CollegeChoice Advisor 529 Savings Plan
- CollegeInvest Direct Portfolio College Savings Plan (Colorado)
- HI529 – Hawaii’s College Savings Plan
- IDeal – Idaho College Savings Plan
- Learning Quest
- Learning Quest Advisor
- Learning Quest by Schwab
- MOST – Missouri’s 529 Advisor Plan
- MOST – Missouri’s 529 College Savings Plan
- Montana Investment Plan
- NEST Advisor
- NEST Direct
- New York’s 529 Advisor-Guided College Savings Program
- New York’s 529 College Savings Program Direct Plan
- North Dakota’s College SAVE Plan
- Pennsylvania’s 529 Direct Investment plan
- Pennsylvania’s TAP 529 Guaranteed Savings Plan
- SMART529 Select College Savings Plan
- SMART 529 WV College Savings Plan
- SSgA Upromise 529 Plan
- Schwab 529 College Savings Plan
- The GIFT College Investing Plan (Arkansas)
- The Hartford SMART529 College Savings Plan
- USAA College Savings Plan (Nevada)
- Vanguard 529 College Savings Plan (Nevada)
Again, you can set up your Upromise account to automatically transfer funds into your 529 account. You can also open 529 accounts for different beneficiaries, and split up your Upromise earnings accordingly.
Pay Down Sallie Mae Loans
If you have any student loans through Sallie Mae, you can use the Upromise Loan Link program to automatically transfer money from your Upromise account to your Sallie Mae student loan balance.
The Bottom Line
For anyone saving for college or paying off Sallie Mae student loans, the Upromise World MasterCard from Barclaycard is an excellent way to boost savings or pay down that debt more quickly. Pay attention to where and how you shop and dine, and you could get a load of cash back every year to go towards college.