My family and I just returned from a vacation in which we spent $264 for a plane ticket to Florida and back. That might not be a bad deal, except that–
The “ticket” was for our luggage!
So when Citi relaunched a miles card that lets you and up to 4 companions each check one bag for free, it caught my attention. Called the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card, it boasts some new features that make it a good option for AA frequent flyers.
The first and most notable change is that it is a Visa Signature card (the old version was a MasterCard). Without question Visa Signature cards offer some of the best perks and services you’ll find anywhere.
Beyond the move to Visa Signature, the card allows you to earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of being a cardmember. The spend requirement is about as low as you’ll find, and 30,000 miles will go a long way toward free travel.
The Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card also includes a lot of other perks and rewards. Here’s an overview:
- Earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership*
- Your first eligible checked bag is free*
- Priority Boarding with Group 1 privileges* and 25% savings on eligible in-flight purchases*
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount every cardmembership year with qualifying purchases and cardmembership renewal*
- Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back - up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year*
There is a $95 annual fee, but it is waived for the first 12 months. Also, the free checked bag applies not only to the cardholder, but also up to 4 traveling companions. Having just taken my family on a vacation for spring break, this feature would have come in very handy.
For more information or to apply for the card, visit the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card website.
Published or updated April 16, 2013.