If you’ve done much international travel, you know that British Airways is the Cadillac of airlines when it comes to luxury. It is probably best known for its business class seats that convert into beds, making long flights much more comfortable. And now the British Airways Visa Signature® Card is a great way to earn free travel. In this review we’ll cover all the details, including how you can earn free travel each and every year you carry the card.
How to Earn Avios with the Card
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card comes with a standard rewards program that provides Avios for every dollar spent on purchases. Avios never expire as long as you continue to keep your account in good standing and there is no limit to the amount of rewards you can earn. The breakdown of how many Avios are earned is as follows:
- 2.5 Avios for every dollar spent on British Airways flights
- 1.25 Avios for every dollar spent on all other purchases
Travel Together Ticket
On top of earning Avios, if you can spend $30,000 in a calendar year, you’ll receive a courtesy companion ticket, which allows someone to fly with you in the same class, free of charge. BA calls this a “Travel Together Ticket.” The British Airways Visa Signature® Card does have a $95 annual fee, but considering what can be saved, that fee should be of no consequence to cardholders.
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card has several other perks worth noting. Extremely important to note is that this card does not charge a foreign transaction fee on any purchase. This means that when you are using your card internationally, there is no added fee for a currency exchange. Capital One and a few select cards are the only credit cards available today that offer this service, and for any international traveler, this can save you hundreds during each vacation. The card also has chip-based technology, which allows you to make purchases by simply waiving the card over the card terminal, rather than the more traditional swipe.
Summary of Benefits
- You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after you make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1.25 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa Card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years
- Smart Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & Beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home