As we mentioned earlier, J.D. Power ranked American Express credit cards as the best overall card for customer satisfaction. After that article, I realized that I had never reviewed the one American Express card I’ve carried for years – the American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card. Actually, American Express offers two different gold cards. They have the American Express® Gold Card, of course. But they also have the American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card, which is what I use. Basically, the American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card offers richer benefits, but with a slightly higher annual fee (after the first year, which is waived).
Premier Rewards Gold Card
The American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card is what I carry now. The big difference as compared to the standard Gold card is that you earn points faster and have annual bonus points if you spend at least $1,000. Here are the details:
- Earn More: earn 25K Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2K during your first three months of Card membership; earn 15K points after you spend $30,000 within one calendar year
- Earn Fast: 3X points for flights booked with airlines, 2X points at US gas stations and US supermarkets, 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- Use points for gift cards for dining, entertainment, and to shop over 300 of some of your favorite brands
- Access to Benefits: Baggage Insurance Plan* when you travel, and shop with confidence with Extended Warranty* and Return Protection.*Underwritten by Amex Assurance Company
- Book two consecutive hotel nights through American Express Travel and receive $75 back at checkout. Restrictions may apply
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175
- Terms and Restrictions Apply
Other Card Benefits
With both cards, the Rewards points can be used to purchase just about anything. Points never expire, and they can even be transferred to frequent flyer programs:
- Use points whenever you’re ready — they have no expiration date
- Use the Pay with Points feature at American Express Travel and fly any airline, anytime, anywhere – there are no blackout dates or seat restrictions
- Redeem points for virtually anything from merchandise and gift cards to entertainment and travel
- Transfer points to frequent flyer programs or redeem for gift cards from some of the best names in retail and dining
Known for its excellent travel services, the American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card offer some unique advantages when you are on the road:
- We’ll get you back on track in no time with 24-hour Roadside Assistance when you travel. And when you rent a car with your Card, you can be covered under Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance — at no additional charge.
- With the Baggage Insurance Plan, you get automatic coverage against lost, stolen, or damaged baggage to checked and carry-on baggage when you purchase your Common Carrier tickets — for a plane, train, helicopter, ship, or bus — with your Card.
- Travel Accident Insurance provides up to $250,000 in accidental death and dismemberment insurance while traveling on a Common Carrier Conveyance (plane, train, ship, helicopter, or bus) when the entire fare has been charged to the Card.
- Get emergency assistance anywhere, anytime with the Global Assist® Hotline. When you’re more than 100 miles from home, one phone call to Amex can help connect you with the help you need — from doctor referrals to passport assistance and emergency cash.
- Enjoy Preferred Seating at some of the most sought-after events in the country. You can get access to music, theater, sports, and family event tickets – often before they go on sale to the general public.
American Express also offers protection on retail purchases you make with the cards:
- Extend the length of the original manufacturer’s warranty, up to one year, on your eligible purchases that have U.S. warranties of 5 years or less when the purchase is charged to the Card
- If you change your mind on a purchase and the store won’t take it back, American Express will refund the purchase price
- Shop with confidence and Purchase Protection, which protects eligible purchases made with the Card against accidental damage and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase
Over the years, we’ve taken advantage of many of these benefits. While this card includes an annual fee, we’ve found the excellent service and features of the card to be well worth it. If you would like to sign up for the American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card, visit any link contained within this post.
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are authors alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through American Express Affiliate Program.
Published or updated October 2, 2012.